Saturday, July 12, 2008

Argentine Chimichurri Sauce

Argentine Chimichurri Sauce:

- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 C. white wine vinegar
- 1 bunch of parsley (you may leave stem on, remove the very ends)
- 3/4 bunch cilantro (keep stems on, very end removed)
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeno, seeded
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp cumin
- juice of 1/2 lime
-1/4 onion
- 6 T extra virgin olive oil (I was forced to use my very expensive EVOO last time, and I have to say, it did make it much better-- much smoother and richer, so use cheap or good EVOO, but you will see a difference using good)
- salt to taste

Place all in blender. If you have problems getting it to blend, remove some of the cilantro and parsley and add back in once blending starts. You may also use a food processor, but the blender makes a more evenly emulsified and much smoother, finer sauce.

Sauce works exceptionally well on flavorful, slightly lower-fat content steaks (e.g. NY strip, skirt steak, London Broil). While not traditional (despite both being traditional Argentine dishes) it also works well with these empanadas--I would suggest the modifications I make in my review on that site--they make these much easier.

This will make about 1.5 pints, enough for many, many steaks, and about 30 empanadas. You may freeze the remainder, so I would always recommend making the full amount.

No comments: