Recipe from Ina Garten
When I do this, I actually do it as cupcakes, or mini-cupcakes, since a large party is the only way I could ever be convinced to actually do something made with chocolate (just not a fan).
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 16 ounces Hershey's choclate syrup
- 1 T pure vanilla Extract
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces good semisweet chocolate, or chocolate chips
- 1 tsp instant coffee/espresso granules
- Flavoring (to taste... grand marnier, mint, almond, hazelnut, etc...)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour an 8" round cake pan, or cupcake tin. Line the bottom with parchment paper, or use muffin cups for cupcakes.
Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the chocolate syrup and the vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don't overbeat of cake will be tough.
Pout the batter into the pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes (less for cupcakes) or until it is just set in the middle. Don't overbake! Let thoroughly cool in the pan.
For the ganache, cook the heavy cream in a double boiler and add chocolate and coffee granules until melted and warm. Remove from heat and add flavor to taste.
Glaze cooled cake with ganache, and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.