I made this to try and get rid of some stuff in my pantry, hence the pumpkin. It was very good, but adding some fennel might also be nice, and some sage.
- two 15 ounce cans pure pumpkin
- one 15 ounce can coconut milk
- one large yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cups chicken stock--until you achieve the consistency you'd like. I wanted something rich.
- 1 T butter
- 1-2 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp sage (optional, did not use the first time)
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
- 2 T brown sugar
- maple syrup (optional, for garnishing)
- 1 small (appx 7 oz) can chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. Minced
- Sour cream, for garnish
Sweat the onions over medium high heat until translucent. Add pumpkin, coconut milk, marjoram and desired amount of stock to onions and simmer for around 15 minutes to let the flavors mix. Add kosher salt, white pepper (or black) and brown sugar to your taste. Remove from heat and puree in small batches. Garnish with 1 T sour cream/bowl, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Provide minced chipotle on the side as a condiment. We used about 1 tsp each.