Modified from a recipe on epicurious.com
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp
- 1/4 cup creme fraîche or sour cream
- 2 T butter
- 1.5 pounds fresh wild mushrooms (chanterelle, black trumpet, oyster, enoki, hedgehog, shiitake, maitake). Don't overdo the really strongly flavored ones like maitake.
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced to a paste
- truffle salt (optional, but highly recommended)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal (appx 1.5 cups)
- 1 Pillsbury "unroll" style pie crust
- 6 ounces sliced gruyere
Preheat oven to 400
Purée ricotta in a food processor until smooth. add 2 tsp EVOO and egg yolk, and pulse just to blend. Remove and gold in creme fraîche.
Melt butter over medium heat, and add garlic. Saute until garlic is beginning to get golden. Add mushrooms and saute till soft, and significantly cooked down. Add truffle salt and thyme, and adjust until you have the desired flavor (usually takes many giant dashes of truffle salt).
Place pie crust in a tart pan. Spread over ricotta-creme fraîche mixture on bottom. Place half of the mushrooms on top of dairy mixture in tart. Then arrange half of gruyere on top of mushrooms. Place the remaining mushrooms on top of that, and the remaining gruyere on top of that.
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until gruyere is golden and bubbly, and crust is golden.